A tradie on a work break has paid a $60,000 premium for a Seabrook unit he saw for the first time shortly before auction yesterday.
Despite needing an overhaul, the dated two-bedroom unit at 51 Mintaro Way had six bidders competing after a $300,000 opening offer.
It was on the market at $330,000 — the bottom of its advertised range — and sold for $390,000.
RELATED: Super Saturday brings 2019’s first market test for Melbourne
Popular Bentleigh East pad notches a top result for super Saturday
Correction, crackdown finally put Melbourne home prices on the money
The buyer plans to update the home and admitted stretching their budget after Hocking Stuart auctioneer Eric Bartz revealed the property’s rear fence had been built short of the property boundary and could be extended.
Theo Jacometti and his two brothers were selling the unit left to them by their parents — migrants from Indonesia with a Dutch heritage.
The family had run a successful seedling farm in nearby Werribee South for a number of years, and now have operations in Lara near Geelong and Queensland.
“For us, it’s closing a book,” Mr Jacometti said.
“But it’s been a typical migrant story where we all worked hard.”
Listing agent Samantha McCarthy said they had only expected three bidders.
MORE: TV Travel Guides depart renovated Maldon miner’s cottage
Expert advice: Victorians’ ultimate guide to property in 2019
Fly-in Chinese buyers snare elite Melbourne homes for Lunar New Year
“In this market place I didn’t expect to attract double — and I didn’t expect get to that level given all the work required,” Ms McCarthy said. “The market isn’t all doom and gloom.”