With less than a week to go until another potential partial federal government shutdown begins on Friday, bipartisan compromise talks on funding for President Trump’s proposed border wall have completely broken down, sources tell Fox News.
The sudden development again raised the possibility that Mr Trump will declare a national emergency to access previously appropriated funds to initiate construction on a border wall.
The White House agreed to a temporary spending bill late last month to end a historic 35-day government shutdown, although Mr Trump said at the time that the move was not a “concession” and that he would not relent on his demands for a wall.
This comes as acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney appeared on talk shows Meet the Press and Fox News Sunday saying that “you absolutely cannot” rule out the possibility that the government may shut again on Friday.
But Mr Mulvaney also said that Mr Trump was willing to explore funding alternatives.
The president has asked for $8 billion ($US5.7 billion), but talks are centred around far less, around $2.3 billion ($US1.6 billion).
Mr Mulvaney said that if Congress approves a lesser amount, Mr Trump could make up the difference from elsewhere in the government or, if needed, the president could declare a national emergency.