Amtrak train passengers stuck for 36 hours after tree falls on tracks

Amtrak train passengers stuck for 36 hours after tree falls on tracks

A train travelling from Seattle to Los Angeles has started moving again after spending 36 hours stranded in the snowy Oregon mountains with 183 passengers on board.

Amtrak’s Coast Starlight train came to a halt about 6.20pm on Sunday, local time, outside of Oakridge, Oregon when crew members spotted trees on the tracks, Fox News reported.

The downed tree and snowy conditions prevented them from moving forward, officials confirmed.

According to reports, the Amtrak crew of 13 decided to keep the passengers on the train, which had electricity, heat and food, rather than find ways to get them to a small nearby town, which was said to have been dealing with a blackout, among other snow-related problems.

The passengers seemed in decent spirits as the hours-long delay stretched on, causing a shortage of food and hygiene products, including baby’s nappies.

“This is hell and it’s getting worse,” Rebekah Dodson posted on Facebook along with a photo of other passengers smiling into the camera after they had been stuck for 30 hours.

After more than a day of being on the track, the Amtrak train began to move again, heading toward the Oregon city of Eugene, about 72km from where it was stuck. The Red Cross is waiting at the depot to help passengers when the train arrives.

“With more than a foot of heavy snow and numerous trees blocking the track, we made every decision in the best interest of the safety of our customers during the unfortunate sequence of events,” Amtrak Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Scot Naparstek said, adding that customers would get refunds and other compensation.

Amtrak has not said when the train might continue on its way to Los Angeles.

— AP and Fox News’ Bradford Betz contributed to this report.

This article originally appeared on Fox News and was reproduced with permission

Source link